3.06.2013

Oh, hai.

When I was a child, my grandmother tried to teach me how to crochet.  I remember a few times learning how to 'chain'.  I would make feet, feet, and more feet of horrible, uneven chains but, that was it.  It didn't hold my attention and I wasn't interested in it.  I didn't learn how to crochet until years after she had passed away.  I wish that I had learned while she was here and we could have shared our love for crochet together.

I'm not quite sure why I wanted to learn how to crochet.  I started about two years ago.  I had picked up a little kit that came with a book, hooks, stitch markers, and plastic yarn needles.  I also brought home two skeins of 'Red Heart' variegated yarn.  I learned a new stitch every few days until I had mastered the chain stitch, slip stitch, single crochet, half-double crochet, double crochet, and triple (or treble) crochet.

I will admit it:  It is really boring to learn those first few stitches.  I hated every minute of those 'feet, feet, and more feet of horrible, uneven chains'.  But you know what?  It was worth it and I am so very happy that I stuck with it.

It was about a year later that I had started to sell my crochet goods to 'friends of friends' and eventually on-line.  Later, I started doing custom crochet work, which will always be dear to my heart.  It was fun to exchange new, creative ideas with my customers, and of course, the wonderful challenge and learning opportunities it provided me to be able to push beyond the limits of my crochet knowledge and abilities.

So, here we are today:  I shut down my on-line crochet shop about three months ago.  I'd had a bad year full of stress and medical issues and needed a break.  I am still having medical issues and the day-to-day drama of life will never end.  However, I am finally in the right hands and feel as though I am on the right path to managing my condition.  I've missed crochet so much and I am happy to say that I'm back.

I'm still not ready to go back into custom crochet work.  I have decided that I will make items for my on-line shop as I can, but it will no longer my main focus.  I want to write tutorials and patterns.  I want to make 'how to' videos.  I want to collaborate on designs and projects with fellow crocheters.  I want to teach others how to crochet so that they may experience the happiness that it brings me.

I've decided to start a blog so that I may share my love of crochet with you.  I would like to post about patterns, books, supplies, and crochet designers that I enjoy.  I would also like to get you involved in some fun contests and give you opportunities to show off your own crochet skills.

Are you in?

You can follow my blog to keep updated and join in on the fun.  : )

No comments:

Post a Comment